Creamy, delicious, homemade almond milk recipe coming your way!
Tools you need:
- High powered blender/ food processor (I used a thermomix) – if you don’t have a high powered blender, you could try making almond milk with nut butter and water – blend 1/2 cup nut butter with 3 cups water and some maple syrup!
- Nut milk bag or cloth mesh bag
Making your own plant milk is also an easy way to reduce your waste if you scoop and buy your almonds plus dates from a bulk food store in a jar/container from home. Not only is this a great option for a milk to reduce your waste for this but it is also an option where no animals are harmed in the process.
You can also replace the almonds with other types of nuts – such as cashews, macadamias or hazelnuts for a different flavour.
Making your own plant milk can also be great fun! You can experiment with flavours by adding things like cocoa powder for a chocolate flavour, or some frozen or fresh strawberries, or some vanilla paste/essence for vanilla. I like to add a touch of turmeric, some cinnamon, and cardamon when I warm up the milk for a delicious wintery drink.
serves about 1-3 people. keeps for 3-4 days when refrigerated and stored in an airtight container.
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 dates that have been soaked in hot water (optional) (can subsitute for 2 TBSP maple syrup)
- a pinch of salt
- Soak the almonds in just enough water to cover them all for 24-48 hours.
- Drain the almonds and rinse them with water.
- Blend the almonds with 3 cups of filtered water, the dates, and salt in a high powered food processor/blender (I used a thermomix).
- Strain the mixture through a nut milk bag or a cloth mesh bag. Don’t throw away the pulp! You can use the pulp in baking, bliss balls, and for raw desserts 🙂
- Store the almond milk in the fridge in an air-tight glass bottle or container for up to 3 days.
Easy peasy. You can adjust the sweetness and saltiness to your preference!
Let me know how you go making this recipe in the comments down below ❤
See how you can make your own gluten-free bread here!